Progress so far:
I spent a fair while arranging and rearranging the woven strips around the dress. Lots of pinning, standing back, unpinning and starting again. It never is quite the same in real life as the concept drawings, so making it work with what I have to hand is the key thing here.
It needed something to take the starkness away and I had been playing with styles of stitch patterns and types of threads on soluble. At one stage this was incredibly frustrating as no matter what tricks I tried the thread was breaking every few inches. We have all been there, but the thought of hours and hours on the machine re-threading every minute or two was not a good one! In the end, by chance it was the Auckland Stitches show and I dragged Brian along to see what it was like. I have to say that within half an hour we had seen it all, and sorry to say not been inspired at all, which is a great shame. However, the silver lining (literally in this case) was that I knew I was low on silver metallic thread, so picked up a few reels of Wonderfil and whilst I was at it new top stitch needles also. This was absolutely my saving grace - mostly the top stitch needles, but also the thread was great too and I could combine that with another thread which was a better colour but not robust enough on it's own. So that was it, two days of machining without (many) swearwords. I could have gone on in that vein for ages, but aware that I only had one week, of which I was away for 3 days, before the deadline, meant that I drew the line at whatever was made by Monday evening.
|Soluble lace added|
|All attached together|
I am aiming for the look of an open cocoon, highly textured and suggestive of some wonderful transformation inside. It has developed a period, horror sort of look which is interesting to see emerge.
|From the back|
|From the front|
|Adding extra lacy bits to the front of the hood|
|In the bath|
|After removing soluble|
|Silver thread, net and reflective tape.|
But in another week I will have a space ready to paint, add electrics, water, a toilet and what a treat it will be to have a permanent space to settle into for creating work and maybe running classes.
|The bare barn|
|Day 5. Cupboards and mezzanine storage|
|Blocking off Brian's bit|
|Ready for the translucent front doors to weatherproof the space but let light in|