Thursday, 29 October 2015

Crazy Paper Patchwork

Many years ago I had a fabulous and memorable time on a weekend with textile artist Liz Mann. She shared with us her particular technique for dyeing, patching and piecing and stitching to create a fabulously textural and rich surface. It is a technique I have used for several pieces and have returned to from time to time since.
For a workshop today I adapted this technique which is essentially a modern version of the Victorian 'crazy patchwork', along with influences from seminole and boro patchwork styles, to work with fine papers, stencilling and stitching with a little burning (don't fall over in surprise at that).  
It was also a development on ideas from a previous paper patchwork course
Rachel who came on that course, today brought me her finished piece from last year's course.Thank you, a pleasure to see and share:


This was the patchwork at the end of the workshop day ...

... and the finished piece a year on.                                                                                                                                         Showing a considerate and playfully careful addition of more decoration and surface stitching.  

A detail.
Whilst working on the Crazy Paper Patchwork workshop, I combined ideas from the Paper Patchwork workshop with the new ones and ended up with this as one piece:

Seminole patchwork style in paper by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden
As ever, the place we leave a one day workshop is only the start of a journey. And I am sure that in many cases there are benefits to this as can be seen from Rachel's development of her last year's patchwork. I am confident that some of the pieces below will develop into finished works, and I will post any that I get to see.
Here are a small selection of the work from today. The papers used include tissue papers, pattern papers, handmade papers, mulberry paper, paper bags, papers painted on previous courses, book and music score papers, Chinese paper, florist papers and baby wipes amongst others!













Whilst we eagerly await these pieces being completed, here are a few images of my examples:

Some Crazy Paper Patchwork by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden. Stitch, stencil, gild, bead etc.

More Crazy Paper Patchwork by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden. Stitch, stencil, bead etc.

Detail from Crazy Paper Patchwork examples by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden.




And of course, the more you work on ideas, the more new options open themselves for development. I especially like the effect of the burnt edgings and began to explore that more.

Having collected lots of tea bags for the Time For Tea course, I also acquired a few coffee filters. These have a soft, slightly 'bark cloth' appeal and lent themselves to being patched together with simple seeding stitching.

Using a machine automatic pattern to mimic the Victorian Crazy Patchwork stitching. This now calls out for some delicate detailing within the patches.














 

5 comments:

Julie Short said...

I love your work. The textures and your sure use of colour and pattern are inspiring.

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden said...

Hey, Thanks so much Julie.

Mary T said...

wonderful!

http://essayhelp24.com/ said...

Wow, it's amazing! You inspire me to create and develop my imagination. I hope I'll be able to organize the exhibition next Friday. If I succeed, I'll let you know.
Regards,
Will Hard

Patent Attorney said...

So many beautiful patterns here, you've really spoilt us!