Sunday, 15 March 2015

Textile Treasures for Living Threads, Tongan Kapesi and tapa cloth

I have been making a few new works recently which are for the Living Threads Exhibition. They have now safely arrived in the UK and will be on display from the 8th to 17th April.
I don't want to spoil your visit, so thought that I would just show a few detailed shots. The exhibition is called Textile Treasures, which is the usual all encompassing title. I am a little afraid that this might lead to a more 'blingy' selection than usual, we shall have to see. Anyway, it is always a really well organised and busy exhibition with the main works, the shop for smaller purchases, the dayschool display, the demonstrations by members, and a cafe of course. Sorry I won't be there.

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures

Alysn Midgelow-Marsden: Textile Treasures
My 'treasures' were pieces of fabric shibori dyed in indigo and permanganate (I think) about a million years ago, which have been too precious to use. Now is the time - no good them sitting any longer!

Yesterday was the annual 'Pasifika' Festival in Auckland. Celebrating the singing, dancing, food and crafts of the peoples from the many Pacific Islands. It is always a fun trip out, and though this year we only had a couple of hours, I managed to buy exactly what I wanted - that was more tapa cloth, and also found a beautiful old 'kapesi', the rubbing block used to transfer the pattern onto the cloth ready for painting. I was about to buy a newly made, still lovely, kapesi when I spotted this old one, did a swap on the spot. I am one happy textiler!

Yum - Pacifika buys!

Large Kapesi, about A3 size, on coconut leaf backing

Kapesi front, detail

Stitching on the back is 'awesome' too.

Most of my time recently seems to have been involving paperwork, deadlines for project applications and funding, and accounts (blah). Ready now for an attempt on a self-portrait - don't hold your breath though.

No comments: