Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Around the World Blog Hop




I have been invited to take part in the Around the World Blog Hop by Judy Coates Perez, whom I met in Australia earlier this year. Thanks for the invite Judy, it was great to read your blog, the answers to the questions we are asked to consider were answered intelligently and informatively, I hope that in my slightly tired ‘post very long flight’ state that I am able to make some attempt, though it is utilitarian in nature and without the lovely images Judy added.


The q&a session:

1. What am I working on? 

Currently I am at a natural break point, having recently finished a series of work called ‘Negative Spaces’, a sculpture called ‘Change’, I have just returned from a teaching trip to the UK and Christmas is coming. Therefore new work will develop, but probably not until after the holiday season as family and social activities are piling up. I am however beginning to work towards two new five day long workshops in which participants will be working in a similar way to the way I develop pieces. This could possibly be described as a process of deconstruction and reconstruction. It will mean some study, some close observation, some abstracting of forms and then slowly reconstructing the elements to create a work. It would not be an unexpected outcome of developing these courses for me to also have new work for myself. I am certainly interested and intrigued by both concepts for the workshops.
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? 

If my genre can broadly be described as ‘contemporary textile art’ then I am not sure that my work is so different in use of techniques or materials to many other artists. I suppose that my use of metal and metal cloth as a main material is reasonably unusual. I would hope that my approach and the resulting pieces create distinctive work which is appropriate to the subject matter I am exploring in the pieces; this in itself shouldn’t be different to that of other makers, though the end result certainly should be unique to me.
3. Why do I write/create what I do? 

Just because! Or because if I don’t I wouldn’t know who I am. I have stitched and painted for so many years that I think my identity is tied to textile art.
4. How does my writing/creating process work?

Though I can work ‘off the cuff’, I prefer to have a ‘raison d’etre’ for each series of work. This might mean investigating any associations, any cultural, historical personal or other links, connections, thoughts and so on to a subject. I will spend time in sketch studies and playing with development exercises. Alongside this I usually will also begin to narrow down the techniques, surfaces, colours, materials I want to use or which reflect the nature of the ideas. Eventually the two come together and I can begin to work on the actual pieces. 


I am inviting you to see the blogs of Kim Thittichai, a larger than life textile and mixed media artist, who will need no explanation in advance, and Pete Mosley, whose blog is a slight sideline, being a maker, but more importantly, he is vastly experienced in the art of being in business as a maker and artist. He mentors, researches and writes. Unfortunately, my third choice is still ‘pending’, and I am not sure what that does for the Blog Hop, perhaps not a lot in the long run. I hope you enjoy the postings of these two talents.
 

1 comment:

Maggi said...

An interesting insight into the way that you work. Good luck with the new classes and have a good Christmas.