Sunday, 4 August 2013

Weaving and Shrinking

Fortunately the weather has not been quite at it's hottest over the last few days whilst we have been having fun with my 'Wild Wire Weaving' and 'Print, Stitch, Shrink' workshops.
Friday saw a full class getting to grips with metal and wire techniques and produced lots of interesting experiments:

A few of my samples

Pieces started on the workshop:











Have another peek at the last image, then see what Cath brought in the next day:






And ... her husband loved them so much, he wants a weaving 1 metre long for his birthday - better get to it Cath, best of luck.

Today we were stitching into shrink plastic and printable shrink plastic.

My efforts as starting points were:

Shrink plastic, metal cloth and stitch example by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden

More shrink plastic and metal by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden

Textured poppy example by Alysn Midgelow-Marsden
And here are some of the pieces developed during the workshop:









There is plenty of scope for experimentation with this idea which began as a corsage technique I developed (or at least came to without seeing any other similar ideas), then expanded as an article for Workshop on the Web.
Another great big thanks for everyone working hard inside on lovely sunny days.

I am setting off back to New Zealand in two days, so will post from there. I wonder what the house will look like without  my input after seven weeks? Better than I left it?!

1 comment:

Maggi said...

The weaving was really good and I love the shrink plastic results. Have a safe trip back.