Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Goals and focus

Does anyone else find that when you have been concentrating on one thing for an extended period, that it takes a while to re-focus and get started on the next?

I am in the haitus period between projects, having pretty much finished the creative part of the work on the book for Search Press and now building my ideas for an exhibition I am involved in during November/December.
I have to take things steady for a few weeks anyway having damaged a ligament in my thumb which is making hand stitch slow. As a positive outcome, it was timed perfectly to fit in this gap between projects and at a time when I need to draw, sketch, make notes and cogitate, none of which will be a problem. And, I can't do the washing up, so that has to be a bonus!

Poorly hand!

At times like this I find that I need to take some time 'off' - for a couple of reasons. In very pragmatic terms, there is always paperwork and other 'stuff' which I neglect when I have a major project because I would much rather be making than doing the peripherals (however necessary), and surely I am not alone in that! But also, though you have been concentrating on one set of work there are always glimpses and teases of ideas for the projects you have coming through which begin to nuzzle into your mind and these need time now to float to the surface and to be examined in the cold light of day to decide which are possibilities for the next work, and which need parking again for later. So time between projects allows me to let go of the last set of ideas and gradually change focus towards the next.

I know that popular culture suggests that females multi-task all of the time, and I do find that though I love being lost in the 'making', to do creative work effectively I need a mixture of demands on my time. Perhaps some paperwork, or an article or even the accounts :( balancing out more concentrated time in the studio. If  I only have studio work to do, I am very slow and find it harder to concentrate. The power of limited time in any one 'sitting' seems to allow me to focus more effectively. Is this a habit born out of necessity or normal for us all?

Unfortunately the sun has disappeared and the rain is back with us, which means that there is no excuse to pick up a book and sit relaxing in the sun, or garden, or any of the other diversionary activities I am so good at. Which leads me to the conclusion that my goal now is to finish my accounts and other odd bits of paperwork today and get focussed on the fun stuff ...

If you want to follow the progress of work by all of the artists involved in the 'All that Glimmers', follow the facebook page and share as widely as you like! With thanks from all of us.
Here is the blurb:
An exhibition of contemporary crafts at Christmas. Rufford Craft Centre, 18th Nov - 31st Dec 2012
A sumptuous crafts exhibition to dazzle and amaze this festive season. A visual showcase of British designer-makers with an abundance of everything from Ceramics to Textiles, Glass to Jewellery, and all handmade.
All artists invited to exhibit in “All That Glimmers…” are part of either the Hallam members of the Society of Designer Craftsmen or The Contemporary Crafts Network.  
The perfect chance to fall in love with an original piece of artwork, unique home accessory or item of jewellery. Why not treat your loved ones, friends and family… or even yourself?

Rufford Craft Centre, Near Ollerton, Nottinghamshire.




No comments: