Wednesday, 7 March 2012

A Great Day Out

One of the highlights of the year for me is to take a trip to the Textile Society's 'Antique Textile Fair' usually held on the first weekend of March at the Armitage Centre (part of Manchester University).

This also means it is a year since I began posting as I remember mentioning my visit last year.

Sadly I was disapointed not to find a chatelaine to bring home -but it remains on my list of 'must have collectables', and some of the pleasure has to be in the waiting and searching, or so I tell myself. I was also unable to afford the fantastic, pristine Fortuny style  dress at £950.00 - though if I had the money I would have bought it there and then.
What I did find were a couple of metal items of interest:

French embroidery fragment using appliqued metal and a metal couched cord. Age unknown.
A Sumatran ceremonial headdress. This is not old but in the traditional style. I was fascinated by the over the top, full on style and it fits well with my interest in metalwork techniques and styles:



This doesn't really show much, but I so loved the way the image has turned out, it has to become the starting point for a piece of work I think!

And finally, a fragment which was labelled as 'Coptic' embroidery. The piece is obviously old, handworked and the correct method, but I am a little skeptical that it is 'real' Coptic, as there were several pieces and the prices were very reasonable. If it is original it was a bargain, and if not, I love it anyway!

'Coptic' fragment

Detail of Fragment
 A lovely day out. Hope you had a good weekend too.

No comments: